Student of the Month
This award is sponsored each month by EASTERN’s faculty, Joint Operating Committee, and the Willow Grove Rotary Club to highlight student excellence, success, and service. This month, Jacob Richards, was selected. He is a senior at Upper Moreland High School and is being honored for his work in EASTERN’s Welding Technology program.
Jacob already knew about some of the opportunities at EASTERN through his uncles who took Landscape Contracting several years ago.
When Jacob was in tenth grade, he attended an EASTERN presentation at Upper Moreland High School. One of the student speakers at that presentation was in the Welding Technology program, and he immediately wanted to learn more about the program. Welding was already an interest of Jacob’s, as his family has an at-home welding shop.
Since joining EASTERN's Welding Technology program as a junior, Jacob has seized every opportunity presented to him. He enjoys helping others and has found many ways to do so at EASTERN. As a junior, he volunteered as a Career Expo tour guide for potential EASTERN students. This year he volunteered as a student speaker at EASTERN’s Designer Bag Bingo fundraiser held in September.
Through his Welding Technology program, Jacob was recently approved for a paid internship at Albert C. Phy & Sons Precision Sheet Metal Fabrication in Willow Grove, where he will work as a TIG welder.
“Jacob is a dedicated and hardworking student,” said Ms. Meghan Cicchino, EASTERN’s Welding Technology Instructor. “He plans to go right into the industry and eventually build his own house. He is driven and focused, and always willing to help out a classmate or assist with a school fundraiser.”
After graduation, Jacob plans to begin his career as a welder.
His instructor chose him to attend the Career and Technical Student Organization (CTSO) Leadership Conference in November 2022
He was part of the Chapter Display Team that won a bronze medal at the SkillsUSA State Competition in April 2023
He was inducted into EASTERN’s first-ever National Technical Honor Society in May 2023
He was chosen as a paid intern to work on building improvements with EASTERN’s Facilities Manager and Electrical Technology instructor during the summer of 2023.
This year, Jacob was chosen as the student representative for the Welding Technology Occupational Advisory Committee -- a group of industry professionals who volunteer their time to work with EASTERN’s instructors and administration to keep EASTERN’s program cutting edge.
This award is sponsored each month by EASTERN’s faculty, Joint Operating Committee, and the Willow Grove Rotary Club to highlight student excellence, success, and service. This month Reese Fichter was selected. She is a senior at Upper Dublin High School and is being honored for her work in EASTERN’s Culinary Arts program.
- During the pandemic, Reese spent a lot of time in the kitchen baking with her grandmother. She found baking made her feel better and helped her get through that challenging time. She had a friend who was in EASTERN’s Allied Health program and told her that they also have a Culinary Arts program.
- Reese was selected by her instructors to attend the Career and Technical Student Organization Fall Leadership Conference in November 2022.
- At Upper Dublin High School, Reese enjoys being part of Upper Dublin’s Mini Thon program to raise money for pediatric cancer research.
- Outside of school, Reese works at Pennpack Mill as a catering server.
- “Reese is extremely motivated, and is always willing to help her peers,” said Chef Charlie Zachmann, EASTERN Culinary Arts Instructor. “She enjoys collaborating with other students and being involved in EASTERN activities and competitions. I am proud of all of her accomplishments.”
- After graduation, Reese is interested in Johnson and Wales University. She would like to learn more about the business side of the industry so that she can one day open her own bakery
- During her junior year, she was the student representative for EASTERN’s Culinary Arts Occupational Advisory Committee, and participated in a student focus group on improving student life at EASTERN.
- As a junior in the program, Reese emerged as a leader in the class and was nominated by the Culinary Arts Instructional Aide, Chef Nicole Suanlarm for a Women’s History Month student spotlight.
- In January 2023, Reese placed second in the SkillsUSA District 2 Competition in Job Demo A, where she demonstrated how to make Irish Potatoes.
- At EASTERN’s Awards Night in May 2023, Reese received the Director’s Award and the Straight A Award
- In May 2023, Reese was inducted into EASTERN’s first National Technical Honor Society.
This award is sponsored each month by EASTERN’s faculty, Joint Operating Committee, and the Willow Grove Rotary Club to highlight student excellence, success, and service. This month Marin Goldfarb was selected. She is a senior at Cheltenham High School and is being honored for her work in EASTERN’s Design, Photography, and Illustration program.
- Marin had a friend who attended Design, Photography, and Illustration at EASTERN, and she liked the idea of learning more about careers in art. She spoke to her Cheltenham High School Counselor who encouraged her to visit EASTERN. Shortly after beginning the program, Marin emerged as a class officer and SkillsUSA competitor. She enjoys the hands-on approach to determining career goals that EASTERN offers.
- Marin volunteers her time at many EASTERN activities such as Career Expo, where she spoke to prospective 10th graders at Cheltenham about her EASTERN program and assisted her EASTERN instructors with classroom setup for Parents Night presentations.
- At Cheltenham High School, Marin is a consistent Honor Roll student and was last year’s Blue and Gold Captain, who managed, planned and organized schoolwide activities, advertised spirit week, painted a mural in the school hallway, and ran the schoolwide Instagram page. She also participates in the Cheltenham High School theater program.
- After graduation, she plans to attend the Pennsylvania College of Art and Design in Lancaster for graphic design, and then begin doing freelance graphic design work.
- “Marin gives 100 percent effort to projects she is working on,” said Ms. Nicole Abruzzi, EASTERN Design, Photography, and Illustration Instructor. She is creative, intelligent, and professional. I am looking forward to watching her skills continue to grow this year.”
- At EASTERN, she was selected by her instructor to be the class officer for SkillsUSA, EASTERN’s student leadership organization, and was chosen to attend the Career and Technical Student Organization Fall Leadership Conference in November 2022.
- As a junior, Marin was a very successful SkillsUSA competitor. She placed second in the SkillsUSA State Competition for T-Shirt Design in April 2023.
- At EASTERN’s Awards Night in May 2023, Marin received the Straight A Award, the prestigious Director’s Award, the Design, Photography, and Illustration OAC Service Award, and the Outstanding Junior Sketchbook Award.
- In May 2023, Marin was inducted into EASTERN’s first National Technical Honor Society.