The Practical Nursing Program is sponsored by the EASTERN Center for Arts and Technology, and is developed in accordance with the philosophy of this sponsoring agency.
The Faculty of the Practical Nursing Program Believes:
- Practical Nurses possess the Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes (KSA’s) necessary to provide patient-centered, safe, legal, ethical, and competent quality nursing care to diverse populations in all age groups and settings which are within the Practical Nursing scope of practice. Practical Nurses apply evidenced based theoretical concepts from the sciences, nursing and technology to the patient care they provide.
- Practical Nurses use KSA’s to make sound clinical decisions based upon patient assessment and in collaborating with interdisciplinary team members to prioritize, communicate, administer and/or delegate care to provide the best possible outcome for the patient.
- Practical Nurses assist patients in meeting their individual health goals by utilizing best practices to encourage health promotion and wellness, provide health education and in navigating the vast healthcare system. Practical Nurses assist patients in recovery from acute/chronic illness or injury, and meet the needs of those who cannot care for themselves. Most importantly, nursing care is provided with Patient Safety and Comfort as Priority #1.
- EASTERN’s curriculum is developed to build upon previous learned knowledge and sequential instruction. Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs and the Body Systems model are used to help students organize the pathophysiologic curriculum concepts. Basic scientific principles, human diversity, gerontology, pharmacology and nutrition are integrated throughout the curriculum. Each nursing course addresses vocational development, current nursing issues/initiatives and leadership principles.
- EASTERN Practical Nursing students are held to high standards, standards that reach above minimal competency. Technology, active learning principles and innovative approaches are applied in theory and clinical situations to assist the student in meeting the KSA’s inherent of the Practical Nurse. EASTERN students are adult learners and are responsible for their own education and in communicating their learning needs.
- Practical Nurses are accountable for the nursing care they provide and are responsible to build upon their foundational knowledge through lifelong learning by engaging in continuing education and/or career progression.