Kayla Marshall – Business and Technology Professional
This award is sponsored each month by EASTERN’s faculty, Joint Operating Committee and the Willow Grove Rotary Club to highlight student excellence, success, and service. This month Kayla Marshall was selected. She is a senior at Cheltenham High School and is being honored for her work in EASTERN’s Business and Technology Professional program.
- At Cheltenham High School, Kayla was already part of their Project Based Learning (PBL) program. In this program, her group worked on efforts to improve Curtis Arboretum, a 45-acre arboretum located in Wyncote.
- Kayla thrived in the PBL program and found that she enjoyed the opportunity to apply what she learned in a real-world environment. As a sophomore, she learned more about the Business and Technology Professional program at EASTERN and knew it would be a good fit for her.
- As a junior, EASTERN’s Business and Technology Professional Instructor, Marketa Crane, selected Kayla to shadow Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf’s Deputy Press Secretary, Kevin Hensil, during Governor Wolf’s December visit to EASTERN. This afforded her the rare opportunity to see how the Governor’s office prepares for and conducts a school visit.
- After graduation from Cheltenham High School and EASTERN’s Business and Technology Professional program, she hopes to attend The Wharton School, and take part in an internship.
- Ultimately, she would like to own and operate her own food chain.
- At EASTERN’s virtual Awards Night in May, Kayla received the Business and Technology Professional Outstanding Junior and Straight A Awards. Kayla was also recognized for being part of the team that received the gold medal for Opening and Closing Ceremonies at the SkillsUSA District Competition held in January.
- At Cheltenham High School, Kayla is an honor roll student.
- At Cheltenham High School, she participated in the school musical, “Once on this Island.”