Jonah Oberman – Welding Technology
This award is sponsored each month by EASTERN’s faculty, Joint Operating Committee and the Willow Grove Rotary Club to highlight student excellence, success, and service. This month Jonah Oberman was selected. He is a junior at Abington Senior High School and is being honored for his work in EASTERN’s Welding Technology program.
- Jonah’s father is in the skilled trades, so Jonah grew up understanding the value of them.
- When Jonah was in 10th grade he visited EASTERN to learn more about the career and technical program offered to high school juniors and seniors. During the Welding Technology demonstration, he met the instructor, learned about the many welding jobs available in this area, and the high earning potential.
- In the community, he volunteers his time as a member of the Abington Township Police Explorers.
- After graduation from Abington Senior High School and EASTERN’s Welding Technology program, Jonah plans to pursue postsecondary for Engineering at Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology or Williamson College of the Trades.
- Still a first-year student in the Welding Technology program, Jonah is still exploring his future career options, but has strong interests in becoming a member of the Steamfitters Local 420 and has the desire to pursue blacksmith training.
- Through EASTERN’s Welding Technology program, he has already received his S/P2 in Welding Safety Training Certificate.
- He was chosen by his instructor as the Weld Shop Foreman for his class.
- Jonah is only the second junior selected as Student of the Month in the last 15 years.
- “Jonah’s drive and passion for the field are commendable,” said Meghan Cicchino, EASTERN’s Welding Technology Instructor. “It is rare to find a first-year student with such outstanding welding skills and professionalism. I am looking forward to seeing him continue to refine his skills throughout his senior year.”