Internship Program Overview
Gary Felmey, Coordinator Allison Larson, CTE Supervisor
What is the EASTERN Internship Program?
The Internship Program provides a unique opportunity for students to be employed in their fields of study while still in high school. Students may become eligible to participate once they are in their second or third year of training in their program of study. Internship employment is always in the student’s career and technical area enhancing and expanding the students understanding of the career field.
Why Hire an Internship Student?
- Student employees have training in trade specific areas
- Train flexible young employees in company’s particular methods
- Cost effective method of employee recruitment
- Impact and enhance career and technical training for future employees
How to Hire an Internship Student:
- Develop a job description for the position you are looking to fill including job duties and preferred qualifications.
- Email job description and all pertinent contact information to Eileen Collins at email@example.com
- The job opportunity will be forwarded to the program instructor.
- The instructor will coordinate with the employer to choose a qualified student for the position.
- If the chosen student is under 18 years of age, their immediate supervisor is required to obtain necessary clearances before the student may begin work.
Student Requirements EASTERN Internship Program:
The Internship Program is a privilege that provides an opportunity for qualified Seniors to enhance their vocational-technical training through work experience in industry on a job related to their program of study. Internship placement takes place during the regularly scheduled career and technical session for eligible students. Students participating in the Internship Program are expected to work at least 10 hours a week. If a student is not at work and does not attend school, then he or she must call in sick to both the employer and EASTERN’s main office or the student will be considered truant for that day.
Criteria for Participation:
- The student must be recommended by the instructor.
- The student’s parent/guardian and principal at sponsoring high school must approve.
- The student must be in the second or third year of the occupational program.
- The student must be passing all subjects.
- The student must have no major discipline issues.
- The student must have and continue to maintain a grade of C or better in the program.
- The student must have completed the competencies for his/her program and job title or have agreed with the instructor on a plan for their completion.
- The student must prepare to meet requirements to pass the NOCTI exam, as demonstrated by the pre-NOCTI results, and plan for NOCTI prep on days reporting to EASTERN.
- The student must attend on scheduled report days. Instructors will schedule students for consultation and theory at EASTERN every Monday or other day by prior agreement.
- The work must be in the occupational field of the student’s training at EASTERN and related to approved curriculum.
- The internship site must provide an atmosphere conducive to learning and be approved for safety and supervision.
- The student must be able to benefit educationally from the work experience.
- The student must present a professional appearance which is appropriate for the occupation and reflects well on the student, the employer, and EASTERN.
- Any student under age 18 must obtain working permit papers prior to placement.
- The student must have transportation to and from the internship site.
- The student must furnish his/her own tools, if necessary.
For further information about the Internship Program:
- Employers: Contact Eileen Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students: Discuss available opportunities with your program instructor