You’ll earn certifications to give you a head start on careers in this field!
This two-year half-day class is a multi-disciplined program developed in consultation with a countywide advisory committee of law enforcement, fire science, security professionals and post-secondary institutions. Curriculum includes foundations in criminal justice, firefighting, EMS and security systems. Detailed instruction is provided on leadership, criminal, motor vehicle crash and fire investigation, first responders, security systems, terrorism, firefighting, hazardous materials, and emergency communications. The program establishes a baseline for higher education leading to careers in law enforcement, firefighting, security, corrections and investigation. One-year seniors will be considered if space is available in the program.
What You Should Know
- Fire Fighter 1
- The student must undergo a State Police check to enroll in the program and work in this field.
Certifications students can earn:
- Firefighter 1 and Hazardous Materials Awareness & Operations through testing by Bucks Co. Fire Academy with certifications from the International Fire Service Training Association
- CPR, First Aid and AED through testing by the American Red Cross
College Credit and Articulation Agreements:
- Articulation Agreement with Montgomery County Community College in Criminal Justice or Fire Science programs for qualified students to receive 3 credits.
With Higher Education:
- This program prepares students for success in such career fields as: criminal justice, teaching, fire fighting, security and corrections.
College Post-Secondary Opportunities:
- The fire evolution (exterior) course is given only to members of a volunteer fire company or students at EASTERN.
- The savings would be the annual dues for the fire company (this varies).
- The first aid course would cost between $25 and $55 to take.
- Another advantage is time. By the second month of school EASTERN students have taken the courses, otherwise it would take 4 – 5 months.
Professional Certifications and Other Benefits:
- Before the program is completed all students are expected to pass the Hazardous Materials Awareness and Operations written test administered by the Bucks Co. Fire Academy.
- All students are to pass the CPR and Standard First Aid written and performance tests administered by the Red Cross.
Many of our graduates continue their education or begin their employment right out of school. The following is a list of the educational institutions and companies that have placed our graduates:
- Abington Police Department
- Cheltenham Police Department
- City of Philadelphia Fire Department
- City of Reading Police Department
- Kings College
- Kutztown College
- Lock Haven University
- Montgomery County Community College
- Community College of Philadelphia
- Penn State University
- Point Park University
- Shippensburg University
- Souderton School District
- United States Army
- United States Air Force
- United States Navy
- United States Marines