Click the Open House graphic above for a complete printable postcard
Open House at Eastern Center for Arts and Technology (EASTERN) in Willow Grove is Sunday, February 28, 2016 from 1 – 3:30 p.m. This is a great opportunity for parents of high school students in Eastern Montgomery County to see how EASTERN can give students a competitive edge in college or in a specialized career program. At the Open House parents and students will learn how EASTERN students can earn college credits while still in high school through dual enrollment and articulation agreements, and enjoy learning in a hands-on setting. The Open House also offers an opportunity to hear from EASTERN instructors on the business environment that complements students’ high school academics. Guests will also learn about EASTERN’s Student Warranty. Many special activities in EASTERN’s career programs are scheduled, and visitors will have the opportunity to sample culinary delights prepared by EASTERN’s Culinary Arts students.
EASTERN’s half-day career programs for 11th and 12th grade students include: Allied Health; Automotive Technology; Collision Repair Technology; Commercial Art; Computer Network Administration; Construction Technology; Cosmetology; Culinary Arts; Electrical Technology; Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning; Office Management; Protective Services; Veterinary Science, and Welding Technology.
…continue reading the story called Open House at EASTERN – Celebrating 50 Years
Forty-three students from EASTERN won medals in skill areas or leadership at the SkillsUSA District Competitions held February 2 – 3, 2016 at EASTERN’s facility in Willow Grove. First-place winners will represent EASTERN at the state-level competitions to be held April 13 – 15, 2016 in Hershey, PA. SkillsUSA is a national student leadership organization that encourages career and technical students to be productive individuals in our democratic society, work to their potential, become responsible, be proud of their accomplishments, and supportive of their community.
Medalists from EASTERN include:
Gold Medal Winners:
- Automotive Service Technology – Michael Steinmetz (Hatboro-Horsham/Automotive
- Collision Repair Technology – Ryan Driesbach (Upper Moreland/Collision Repair Technology)
- Commercial Baking – Sue Mun (Upper Dublin/Culinary Arts)
- Health Knowledge Bowl – Kayla Balcerak (Upper Moreland/Allied Health), Jordyn Harris (Upper Moreland/Allied Health), Tina Huynh (Cheltenham/Allied Health),
Sierra Siegfried (Upper Moreland/Allied Health)
- HVACR – Kevin Kubachka (Upper Moreland /Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning)
- Industrial Motor Control – Luke Gallagher (Springfield/Electrical Technology)
- Job Interview – Olga Stylianou (Upper Moreland/Computer Network Administration)
- Medical Terminology –Alhaji Foray (Upper Moreland/Allied Health)
- Opening and Closing Ceremonies – Carolyn Choates (Abington/Commercial Art), Jenna Cubernot (Hatboro-Horsham/Commercial Art), Nicole Esola (Hatboro-
Horsham/Commercial Art), Rachael Forbes (Springfield/Commercial Art), Abigail Kugler (Archbishop Wood/Commercial Art), Jaeda Mattis (Springfield/Commercial Art), Dana Nickens (Upper Dublin/Commercial Art)
- Photography – Maximilian Crandall (Lower Moreland/Commercial Art)
- Photography Model – Jaeda Mattis (Springfield/Commercial Art)
- Technical Computer Applications – Autumn Clark (Cheltenham/Office Management)
- Welding – Jamison Tarman (Upper Moreland/Welding Technology).
Silver Medal Winners:
- Advertising Design – Nicole Peck (Upper Dublin/Commercial Art)
- Automotive Refinishing Technology – Shane McDonnell (Upper Dublin/Collision Repair Technology)
- Cosmetology – Meghan Polk (Upper Moreland/Cosmetology)
- Criminal Justice – Gabriel Bermudez (Upper Moreland/Protective Services)
- Electrical Construction Wiring – Jake Gerstemeier (Abington/Electrical Technology)
- Extemporaneous Speaking – Anthony Sleptsov (Lower Moreland/Commercial Art)
- Internetworking – Brendan O’Connor (Upper Moreland/Computer Network Administration)
- Nail Care – Jennifer Vu (Hatboro-Horsham/Cosmetology)
- Nail Care Model – Emely Ramirez (Springfield/Cosmetology)
- Prepared Speech – Kaitlin Jensen (Abington/Commercial Art)
- Quiz Bowl – Hanna Long (Upper Moreland/Culinary Arts), Leslie Sandoval-Rivera (Upper Moreland/Commercial Art), Aja Johnson (Cheltenham/Collision Repair Technology); Alicia Thompson (Upper Moreland/Allied Health); and Maura Degan (Abington/Cosmetology).
Bronze Medal Winners:
- Crime Scene Investigation – Melanie Wittick (Upper Moreland/Protective Services),
Robin Sandate (Upper Moreland/Protective Services), and Quintin Gibson (Cheltenham/Protective Services)
- Culinary Arts – Seyvon Jones (Upper Moreland/Culinary Arts)
- Employment Application Process – Casey Underkoffler (Upper Moreland/Commercial Art)
- Medical Math – Michaela Kolenkiewicz (Jenkintown/Allied Health).
Eastern Center for Arts and Technology (EASTERN) Cosmetology/Springfield High School senior, Nicole Serianni, is working on the completion of the 1,250 classroom hours required to take her Pennsylvania State Board of Cosmetology exam this summer. She plans to use this licensure to help pay for tuition and expenses while pursuing her college degree.
In 10th grade she attended an EASTERN informational assembly held at Springfield High School, and since she had always been interested in the beauty field, she decided to enroll. Nicole feels as though Cosmetology was a fun and interesting field with many job opportunities. Nicole has been working at Salon Salon in Flourtown, PA for the past two years as she works toward her licensure.
…continue reading the story called Student Spotlight: Cosmetology Student, Nicole Serianni
Eastern Center for Arts and Technology (EASTERN) Welding Technology/Abington High School senior, Jason Hammer, is taking the first steps toward a lucrative career in the welding field while still in high school. He is earning welding credentials at EASTERN, and is already working as a welder part-time at William Henry Iron Works.
In 10th grade he attended an EASTERN informational assembly held at Abington High School, and wanted to learn more about the welding field. He visited the school and decided that the Welding Technology program was a good fit for him after hearing about the earning potential and shortage of welders currently in the field.
…continue reading the story called Student Spotlight: Welding Technology Student, Jason Hammer
Eastern Center for Arts and Technology (EASTERN) Commercial Art/Upper Moreland High School senior, Casey Underkoffler, is getting a head start on her career as a commercial illustrator while still in high school. As a senior, Casey has already developed a professional portfolio to help her to get into the college program of her choice.
While in tenth grade at Upper Moreland High School, Casey did some career testing that indicated she had natural skills to be successful in the Cosmetology field, and she decided to come to EASTERN for a visit. During her visit to EASTERN she had to choose two programs, so she chose Commercial Art just to fill the time. As soon as she spoke to the Commercial Art instructors and students and saw some of the work being created in the program, she knew this was the right fit for her. Even as a child, Casey was always interested in drawing, a trait that was passed along to her from her mother who attended an art college and her dad who drew blueprints as a self-contractor.
…continue reading the story called Student Spotlight: Commercial Art Student, Casey Underkoffler
Eastern Center for Arts and Technology (EASTERN) Cosmetology/Cheltenham High School senior, Anna Novikova, is getting a head start on her career as a cosmetologist while still in high school. Anna is already well-versed in all areas of cosmetology, and will continue the program throughout part of the summer to earn the 1,250 classroom hours required to take her Pennsylvania State Board of Cosmetology exam this summer.
Anna’s older brother graduated from EASTERN’s Collision Repair Technology program in 2015, and because of his participation in an EASTERN program, Anna was already aware of the career preparation programs offered at EASTERN. In 10th grade she attended an EASTERN informational assembly held at Cheltenham High School, and decided that Cosmetology might be the best fit for her. She spoke to her parents and found them to be extremely supportive of her decision, and were thrilled at the prospect of saving salon costs in the future. Her parents, brother and friends were more than willing to let Anna practice different haircuts and styles on them.
…continue reading the story called Student Spotlight: Cosmetology Student, Anna Novikova
Eastern Center for Arts and Technology (EASTERN) was closed to honor Martin Luther King Day on Monday, January 18, however, eight EASTERN Cosmetology students volunteered their time and talents to a fundraiser to benefit Pantene’s Beautiful Lengths program held at Springfield Township High School in Erdenheim, one of EASTERN’s nine participating high schools. Pantene Beautiful Lengths is the only program to help women feel like themselves again with free, real-hair wigs. Pantene partnered with the American Cancer Society® to make and distribute the wigs.
The EASTERN Cosmetology students did the initial cut to over 200 ponytails, and professional stylists from local salons came in to complete the look for donors. Students from Springfield High School advertised this event through flyers and a website. Monetary donations can still be made at www.januhairy2016.com.
…continue reading the story called Cosmetology Students Volunteer on Martin Luther King Day
On January 27, 2016, Eastern Center for Arts and Technology (EASTERN) will partner with the Culinary Arts Institute of Montgomery County Community College (MCCC) for the Commercial Baking and Culinary Arts SkillsUSA Pennsylvania District 2 competitions. SkillsUSA Pennsylvania District 2 offers competitive activities in which career and technical students strive to win in a variety of job skills and leadership areas – including those in the foods industries.
The Culinary Arts Institute of MCCC is located at 1400 Forty Foot Road, Lansdale, PA 19446. EASTERN has had a long and successful partnership with MCCC through dual enrollment agreements with several EASTERN programs – Allied Health, Computer Network Administration, and Office Management. EASTERN and MCCC have also collaborated on a very popular articulation agreement to benefit EASTERN’s Culinary Arts students who continue their culinary education at MCCC.
…continue reading the story called SkillsUSA District CUL Competitions at MCCC